The Maldives are an incredible group of islands and atolls
The Maldives are home to over 1,100 uninhabited and 200 inhabited islands! Talk about a great island destination! Here are my top 14 reasons to visit these incredible islands.
1. Most resorts are situated on their own private island! You can island-hop by boat or sea plane. What an incredible start to your getaway.
2. You don’t have to break the bank to get there. If you don’t mind a connecting flight through Europe, Asia, or Dubai, the airfare doesn’t have to cost an arm & a leg. Also, booking at least six months in advance often includes extra discounts.
3. The Maldives are a great honeymoon destination…but also an ANYTIME destination. Lots of resorts in the islands cater to families. Singles, friend groups, and of course couples are always welcome here.
4. Enjoy the local culture! The islands are a melting pot of Middle Eastern, Indonesian, Sri Lankan, Malaysian, and African cultures. Enjoy the dancing and musical performances. Sample the local food.
5. It’s a sun-lover’s dream. The Maldives sit on the equator, meaning that you’re feeling the sun at a 90-degree angle most of the time. Don’t forget your waterproof sunscreen, hats, breathable long-sleeve shirts and pants.
6. They have some amazing all-inclusive resorts! Food & drink are expensive on island trips because so much of it needs to be imported. But you don’t need to worry about constantly carrying your wallet if you opt for an all-inclusive location.
7. Combine your trip to the Maldives with a trip to the Middle East or Southeast Asia. Dubai is a 4-hour nonstop flight, and Singapore is just under 5 hours nonstop. Consider staying a couple of nights in another exciting destination along with your Maldives getaway.
8. You can see glowing shores at night! The Maldives is known for its bioluminescent plankton, which can best be seen from mid-summer to mid-winter. The plankton lines the shores and creates a glow-in-the-dark effect along the water.
9. These islands are scuba diving and snorkeling paradise! The underwater marine life includes the vibrant coral reef, manta rays, sea turtles, barracuda, and many bright reef fish.
10. So many island spas: a spa-lover’s paradise. In 2016, the Maldives were recognized by the World Spa Awards as the year’s best spa destination, and it’s only gotten better since then. The world’s first underwater spa, the Lime Spa, is located at the Huvafen Fushi Resort, and the Kuda Huraa Resort has transparent floor panels in its spa.
11. Spectacular hotels boast underwater hotel rooms, overwater bungalows, and beach rooms and bungalows. Need I say more?
12. The fabulous beaches. Did I mention the sun? What about the gorgeous white powdery sand? And the turquoise clear water? Maybe the fabulous sunsets? If you’ve seen all of these delights, you might want to jump in and enjoy the watersports found on the beaches: kayaking, canoeing, jet skiing, X-Jet blading, dolphin and sea turtle safaris, and I can’t neglect the surfing!
13. Swim with sharks. Enormous whale sharks and small reef sharks live peacefully along the coral atolls and lagoons. Some resorts have a daily feeding time.
14. Visit the Maldives for the architecture and craftsmanship. Male, the capital city, boasts local mosques which highlight golden domes, ornate chandeliers, intricately carved wooden carpet and doors, and coral stonework.
Pretty magical, don’t you think? Another perfect bucket-list destination.
Let me know if I can help you put together your own magical getaway.